Knowledge can be a dangerous thing. If you want to remain ignorant, don’t ask the question unless you already know the answer. Even if your answer is wildly off the mark. Chances are your theories are more interesting than the reality.
When new prisoners are woken from their slumber, sooner or later, they see the world for what it’s become in the time they weren’t paying attention, and fall into a deep stupor, seeing reality for what it really is. So, this brings us to our latest question:
What Happens When... hmm. Well. You’d better see for yourself.
“Next.”
“You’ve got someone who’s got something to submit,” the Head of Security announced.
“Let’s see it,” the Warden consented.
Through the doorway came one of the most offbeat characters in the Minimum Security Prison - and that’s saying something - an eternally optimistic man who dressed sharply, and never let anything get him down. The Dapper Man plumped a dense tome of files on the Warden’s desk.
“Here, sir,” he said, flashing a million-volt smile. “I’ve filled a request to see the outer rim of what the world currently is like now.”
The Warden’s eyes bogged out as he stared at the impressive mass of papers that had just landed in front of him. He flipped through them, verifying that they had been filled properly, and uttered:
“Number Ninety-Seven.”
The Dapper Man looked confused. “Did I forget something? Did I not follow proper procedure?”
“No, no,” the Warden waved his hand. “You did fine. We don’t normally get requests like this.” There were a hundred ways of escaping from this Prison in increasing range of difficulty. This was near the upper end. The requisitions for transport had been done in advance, as well as paperwork for a day pass. He even checked the personal escort box which nobody used. Still, routine confirmation had to be verified. “Are you prepared to see what’s out there?”
“I’ve read what little there is, and am ready to face the consequences.”
“Alright, but don’t say that we didn’t warn you.”
The Head of Security escorted the unlikely pair upwards onboard the moving platform towards the rooftop where the dome lay. The roof to the top unveiled, revealing the vast realm of the infinite wonders and horrors that awaited outside. The Dapper Man took it all in at once, not saying a word.
After thirty seconds of silence, the Warden spoke. “I can understand the shock. Let me know when you’ve had enough.”
“I’m not finished yet.”
“You - you want to keep looking??”
“Unless there’s threat of exposure, I don’t see the risk.”
“There’s a circle ring, a square ring and a triangle ring circling, squaring and triangling around the moon! Doesn’t that bother you?”
“It’s unusual, but it doesn’t really affect my life. Besides, it looks kinda pretty like that.”
“How are you not overwhelmed??”
“There’s a lot out there to keep track of, sure. But humans as a whole, don’t really change that much.”
“Well then, you leave us no choice.”
The Dapper Man’s perpetually smarmy facial features was frozen once again. This was a rare event that required invoking a seldom-used clause. Under certain conditions, very few released Prisoners were deemed enough of a risk that required their being placed back in storage. His release would only come until society evolved to an extent that he couldn’t handle it. Considering the state of his mind, that could be for a very long time.
“Those guys are troublemakers. You can’t control somebody who’s not scared.” the Head of Security demurred.
“Don’t think I haven’t noticed your handiwork in this.”
“My...?”
“Don’t play innocent. How many Prisoners even know how to access those forms? Let alone fill them out? I doubt any even know the proper procedure for getting extra supplies.”
The Head of Security dropped all pretense of ignorance. “It was necessary to show how potentially dangerous it is to allow someone to write stories about life out there. It makes the Prisoners aware of what’s going on.”
“As long as he’s busy writing, I’m satisfied. Until he poses an actual threat, his immunity stays.”
“But sir - ”
“Just be patient. I’ll deal with it my way.”

No comments:
Post a Comment