“At least you can still control your body,” the Babyface said. “I’m two-hundred forty-three years old (sic), and I still can’t look after myself. I consider myself extremely independent and self-sufficient. But in my old age, the slightest thing going wrong emphasizes just how helpless I really am. None of my family members are still alive, and I hate having to accept outside help from complete strangers.” She pointed her thumb at the Mystery Man who took all this in stride.
“I can never fully accept that they’re willing to help me out. Granted, I couldn’t understand why my family put up with me for as long as they did.”
“Your charming personality?”
“No, that can’t be it. It must be because of what I’ve lived through. You wouldn’t believe the things I’ve seen.”
“Really? Tell me some.”
The Babyface stared at the Girl for a few seconds before responding with “I’m not telling you anything for free! That’s my only worth!”
“I was bringing her to the National Historical Society, when I heard word about you,” the Mystery Man explained.
“I was there when this place was just a hole in the ground!”
“Calm down, save it for the records.”
“Don’t you tell me what I can and can’t be. I’ve had more than enough of that to last multiple lifetimes!”
The Mystery Man lifted the Babyface in his arms, absorbing her ineffective blows on his person. “I’ve got to take care of this. If you ever need me at any time, let me know, and I’ll be there.” He gave the Girl his contact information. She looked over it. Huh. Funny sort of name. Easy to remember. When she looked up, the Man and the Babyface were gone.
She mulled over, working up the courage to leave without paying attention to the disturbing sights surrounding her, when the Patron came up to her.
“Excuse me, you haven’t paid for your meal.”
“Oh, that’s fine. He said it was all taken care of.”
“Funny. HE said that you’d pay the bill, and you were good for it.”
“He what?? But - he was so honest and forthcoming!” That was when she realized. In between the speech of not falling victim to other people’s lies, herself included, she’d apparently fallen victim to being stiffed the bill. Lesson well learnt.
“Ugh... figures,” she said, taking some kurrency out of her bag. “Is this enough?”
He looked at her dismissively. “We don’t accept this White/Blue Colour coinage here. We only accept our national currency, Brown Nōz.”
“Okay, so I’ll convert it - ”
“And the exchange rate is too low.”
“Looks like I’m washing the dishes then?”
“Not smelling like that you're not. You’ll have to get your money elsewhere.”
“Uh huh.” she stood there contemplating her choices. Then she started running towards the exit in a mad dash to reach the front door. Then she suddenly tripped and landed face down on the floor. She tried to crawl further, but was held back by something tugging at her ankle. She felt behind, and saw there was a chain attached from her ankle to the table she’d been eating at.
The Patron kneeled down to where the Girl lay. “You’d be surprised how many customers try to leave without paying.”
“AAGH!” Yelled out a customer from behind, who’d just found out about this anti-theft security system the hard way.
“Okay, you got me. Let me transfer in some money from my parents.”
“No dice. The transfer rate in here and outside is too large. You’ll need some collateral.”
“Would you be willing to accept my first-born?”
“There’s no guarantee your baby’ll be any better-smelling than you.”
She was running out of leftover options fast, and decided to use her Trump card - the card she’d just been given. “Looks like I’m gonna be calling him for a favor sooner than expected,” she said, picking up a communication device and inputting the contact number.
“I would’t put too much stock in getting a response.”
She found out what he meant soon after, when she received a stock reply: “This is Knuckle. Thank you for being in touch. Please give the nature of the emergency, and I’ll get back to you.” She stared dumbfounded at the receiver end.
“You think you’re the only one asking for help? He’s got hundreds of plates out there that need spinning, and he can only focus on so much at once.”
She started feeling guilty about imposing so much upon him for what should’ve been an easy situation to resolve. Then she got angry. “That’s like saying he’ll only help out if it’s convenient!”
“That’s exactly what it sounds like.”
“I just want someone who’ll be there for me! Someone who’ll stay by my side, no matter wh-” then she stopped mid-sentence. If what she’d been told was true, her request could be considered staying pregnant permanently, which was the LAST thing she wanted.
She pounded her hand into her fist. “If I ever see him again, it’ll be too soon!”
“Fat chance. He’ll smell you coming.”
“So, how am I supposed to pay for my tab?”
“There’s plenty of disreputable businesses nearby. They’ll give you the funds you owe me... if they’re willing to hire you. And I’m not taking you on.” he said, instantly cutting off any hope she had of getting hired that way.
“I have to get a job? It can’t be that easy.”
“I didn’t say it was.” The Patron unattached the chain connected to the Girl, leaving the main chain base still wrapped around her ankle. “As a further restriction, you're not leaving within 100 meters of this Café.”
She stared at her new ankle bracelet. “What happens if I do?”
“You really don’t want to find out.” Then he left to negotiate terms with the other customers who’d made a beeline without considering the consequences.
No comments:
Post a Comment