Sunday, June 14, 2026

This is THEY 2

 Even though our rooms were cramped, and had lighting that wavered between blindingly bright, barely luminous and outright darkness, the hallways were as far from sparse as they could be. They stretched the length and width of an underground terminal, allowing space for at least fifty people to stand shoulder-by-shoulder between walls. Walls, floors and ceilings which were mounted with dozens of TV sets, showing looping inspirational messages and commercials advertising products I had no interest in, couldn't understand or afford, bootlegged movies with hideous production values, and all kinds of trashy books strewn across the floor. I was surrounded by inaudible visions and sounds, and made every effort to block them out, which wasn’t easy considering how invasive they were.

Eventually, everybody was shuffled to a large hall where there were enough seats for everybody to sit at respective tables. I expected there to be formal gathering of cliques and groups, but only a few stayed with their respective races. It looked more varied than I expected, which surprised me. However, despite their supposed camaraderie, they looked listless, as if being seated next to a mortal enemy was nothing more than a minor inconvenience.

They barely even registered when our meal was slopped down onto our plates from tubing up on high. It was a slushy pile of steaming mass of mixed unappealing colours, that for reasons unknown to me, was actually cold to the touch.

For some reason, I was reminded of the tagline for a schlocky anthology Sci-Fi TV series I used to watch, which always opened with the premise, “It's only two weeks into the Future... and the world is already an unrecognizable place.” Only half an hour in, and I hate the future already.

Apprehensively, I dug my fork-like appendage into the multicoloured mush and brought the concoction to my mouth. My eyes widened at my first bite.

"Say, this is actually REALLY GOOD!" I looked around. "There's got to be a catch, right? There's always a catch."

"The secret ingredient is Fear." said a voice that sidled up next to me.

"I'm sorry, what??" I asked, almost laughing with a bemused unbelieving look.

"It's probably best you don't know what it's REALLY made out of. Just enjoy it while you still can."

Sitting across from me was a wiry man with a slick haircut wearing a smarmy expression with an anxious look. I couldn't tell what his game was.

"You're the latest lucky or unlucky arrival, depending on your description. We had a vacancy recently, and you just happened to be it."

"How'd you know I...?"

"It's pretty easy to pick out the new ones. You guys take a keen look around, trying to get a sense of your latest surroundings. Once you’ve gotten used to your environment, the thrill wears off and it just becomes commonplace. The ones who're more curious than usual... well, let's just say that they're not exactly around here anymore.”

I looked around, trying to see who looked like recent arrivals, finding anyone who was taking in all the sights. Then I noticed there was a much easier way to tell the difference. Compared to my uniform, which was bright and pristine, their clothes were blotched with purple stains that stretched the gamut of their fronts. All anyone had to do was look for a pale segment of white in a multicoloured psychedelic sea. I felt less special than I did just a moment ago.

Then, an alarm started ringing out. I guess sirens sound the same, no matter what age you’re in.

“Sounds like somebody’s made another break for it. Get your tag straightened up,” the mysterious man said, wiping some dust off the side of my sleeve. They’re taking roll call, and if your number’s not clear, they’ll do it all over again.”

Tubes - different tubes than the ones that fed us the surprisingly tasty meal dropped down from the ceiling and attached themselves to our shoulder. Some of them went to the wrong sleeve, which was blank, and wrapped around, trying to get to the right side, almost strangling some comatose patients in question. Aides tried to help these unfortunate souls, but considering the size of the luncheon auditorium, and the number of available help, it was a lost cause.

“What’s going on??”

“Don’t worry,” he said looking unconcerned. “It’ll all be over soon.”

Just then, the alarm stopped.

“Whatever it was, it’s all taken care of now. At least, until the next outburst, which should happen... sometime around the next three food breaks, I figure.”

“What exactly’s going on around here?” I asked.

“That’s what I’d like to know. They’re remaining elusive about revealing any specific details about the outside world, despite doing their best to acclimate ourselves. All I’ve been able to get are dribs and drabs instead of the full package. Have you noticed anything unusual around here?”

“I’ve only just woken up. Everything looks pretty strange to me.”

“Fair enough. There are devices that are capable of plugging into our basest desires, showing all kinds of wild and amusing images for our enjoyment. Our every need is catered and attended to. The only limits to our demands is the extent of our imaginations, and the prohibitive forms required to fill them out.”

“So what’s wrong?”

“It seems a little too convenient, doesn’t it? The future’s usually NEVER how we’re going to predict it. Also, look at all the movies they’ve left for us. Dark City, The Matrix, Inception, I am Legend.”

“What about them?”

“They’re all stories about questioning our reality. There’s obviously something they don’t want us to know.”

“Yeah, there's general insistence to reassure us that everything is fine.”

“Well, they may want to keep it a secret from me, but I’m determined to find out. You’ve probably noticed that half the people around here are generally lifeless.”

“It’s not hard to miss.”

“They weren’t always like that. When they first woke up, they were like you - filled with curiosity and life. But now they spend all their days lazying about doing nothing. And I mean nothing - they don’t even bother wasting their time using any of the newfangled gadgets that should be bringing us up to speed. They say that they’re helping prepare us for the outside world, but nobody here ever wants to leave. What’s more worrying is that I’ve noticed that the people who’ve made an effort to go out - they leave, and then come back... irrevocably changed.”

As if on cue, there was the sound of scuffling from outside the doors and walls.

“Ah. Sounds like they’ve found him. I wouldn’t be surprised if... yup.”

Within seconds, the side doors to the cafeteria opened, and two burly looking guys in heavy armor were dragging in a man who looked as if he’d been drugged. He put up no resistance whatsoever, his feet scrapping across the pavement.

“They didn’t have to do that, you know - it’s just for show."

“You said I was the latest replacement. What happened to the last guy?”

He started scribbling down some notes on his napkin using gravy stains.

“Meet me here for further details. Memorize this, then eat it. I don’t want anybody knowing about this. I'mma doing more research.”

“Wait! What do I call you?”

“Whatever you want.” And with that cryptic remark, he left, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Black Woman

“You failed to collect enough energy yet again?!”   “I’m sorry, my Queen.  We were in the midst of euphoria, and was just about to claim vic...